Teaching Digital Citizenship Through the Lens of the BC Core Competencies

There was a variety of information presented throughout the readings but the article, Ethical challenges of edtech, big data and personalized learning: twenty-first century student sorting and tracking by Priscilla M. Regan and Jolene Jessepresented a fascinating examination of the ethical uses of education technology and the importance of teaching students the value of digital citizenship.

This made me think about ways that teachers could use the BC Core Competencies to have students reflect upon their competencies in the areas of digital citizenship. Part of the reason why the Core Competencies are such an important component of the BC Curriculum is that they outline the kinds of skills students will carry with them beyond their school experience.

Years ago, when I was first introduced to computer technologies in school, we did not have much instruction as to how to protect our personal information in online spaces or the consequences of accepting user license agreements. Much of what I have come to understand about digital citizenship and online privacy came as a result of learning about it during my first couple of years in University, when social media was commonly being used to connect with peers and other school networks. I also learned a lot through experiencing the many ways in which the use of technology has impacted my way of life. Even today, I feel I have a complicated relationship with technology, which affects how I approach using it in the classroom.

However, I feel that exploring the Core Competencies in a digital context may present opportunities for students to reflect upon their relationship with technology and how they use it in their daily lives. An example may include students researching the ways technology has changed the way people communicate through apps like Twitter and TicTok, which each occupy a unique communication landscape. Critical and creative thinking can be explored through an examination of how digital tools and software can offer new ways to design projects and experiments. Students could also examine how online social media profiles reflect a part of their personal and social identity.

As students are becoming more accustomed to navigating different technologies, I feel it is critical to be more mindful of our own relationships with technology so that we may begin a dialogue as to how this relationship impacts our lives in the areas of communication, critical and creative thinking, and our personal and social identities.

British Columbia Ministry of Education. (2021). Core Competencies. Province of BC. Retrieved August 1, 2021 from https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca/competencies

Regan, P., & Jesse, J. (2019). Ethical challenges of edtech, big data and personalized learning: Twenty-first century student sorting and tracking. Ethics and Information Technology, 21(3), 167-179. DOI: 10.1007/s10676-018-9492-2

Next

Introduction

1. livaktiv

Hi Jarrod,

I enjoy reading about your idea to assess one’s relationship with social media and the internet. It made me realize how important is to have a healthy relationship with technology as well not only for our students but for us, teachers as well. I always had a love-hate relationship with technology and even if I was hesitant to use it more, nowadays I feel it is essential to be well-informed about it and to use it safely and with control. It is hard to find that healthy balance and I witnessed many addictions to technology especially in high school.

Thanks for sharing!